6.16.2014

Luyman's Terns #7: What?

Quick post today, it was a long weekend.

Yesterday, I went to the Lexington Legends game with my dad to celebrate Father's Day. They, of course, lost 10-3. I lost interest sometime around the 7th inning when I finally got up to get a sno-cone, but my interest was piqued in the bottom of the ninth when I got to see the most bizarre play I have even seen in a baseball game. Something that doesn't show up in the box score.

Situation: Down 10-3 in the bottom of the ninth with a runner on first and one out, Chad Johnson attempts to steal second base.

This is hardly an extraordinary play. The base was successfully stolen without a throw and everyone was getting ready for the next pitch. How was Mr. Johnson preparing for it? HE WAS TROTTING BACK TO FIRST BASE! Everyone around me thought that we missed a foul tip (turned out there wasn't even a swing), suddenly the catcher realizes what is going on and chucks the ball to first. The runner gets caught in a rundown and is tagged out.

Laughter ensued, as everyone tried to figure out just what the heck happened. The runner was never credited with the stolen base (which he did get), and the game log does not do justice as to what actually transpired. But now, there is a record of it (such as this blog is a record of anything). Hopefully, Chad Johnson is a major league player one day, and my dad and I can say "I remember him when..." If nothing else, it was definitely a memorable Father's Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment